Béarn and its economy in key elements.
- 2nd economic hub in Aquitaine and RD&I in the greater region:
- More than 16,000 businesses (data from Pau Béarn CCI).
- 5 sectors of excellence: Geoscience-Energy, Aeronautics, Chemicals-Materials, Gastronomy and Equine-Sports.
- A strong industrial sector built around major groups contributing to the national and international influence of the region. EURALIS, LINDT & SPRÜNGLI, LUNE DE MIEL, TERÉGA, TOTAL, SAFRAN GROUP,ARKEMA, MESSIER DOWTY, DASSAULT, EIFFAGE, TORAY CARBON FIBERS EUROPE, TOYAL EUROPE, EATON, VAREL EUROPE, HALLIBURTON, DRILLSTAR, BAYER, KNAUF INSULATION, CHIMEX...
- A dynamic employment area
- An unemployment rate of 7.3% in the fourth quarter of 2017 in comparison to 8.6% nationally.
- A labour cost 30% lower than that of the Ile of France (Paris) area.
- A qualified workforce in Béarn, thanks to the wide selection of universities providing a top quality the recruitment pool.
- Over 367,000 people live in Béarn in a number of urban communities:
- Pau Béarn Pyrenees Urban Community: 162,000 people in 31 municipalities
- Lacq-Orthez Urban Community: almost 55,000 people in 61 municipalities
- Nord Est Béarn Local Authority: almost 35,000 people in 73 municipalities
- Haut Béarn Local Authority: around 33,000 people in 49 municipalities
- Pays de Nay Local Authority: more than 29,000 people in the part located in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques (27 municipalities in Béarn out of a total of 29)
- Les Luys en Béarn Local Authority: more than 27,000 people in 66 municipalities
- Béarn des Gaves Local Authority: almost 20,000 people over 53 municipalities
- Vallée d'Ossau Local Authority: more than 10,000 people in 18 municipalities
- Adour Madiran Local Authority: 1,900 people in the part located in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques
The economic assets of Béarn
- Comprehensive education and vocational training centres
- Pau University has 13,000 students including 1,700 international students and has been awarded the “I-SITE” label for its E2S project on energy and environment solutions. Subject areas are varied and include science, humanities, languages, geography, sociology, economy and management.
- 5 Graduate Schools: ESC Pau, ENSGTI, IAE, CESI, EISTI.
- Vocational training centres: CNPC, EFF, IFP training, and ESC Pau formation continue...
- 1 international school: the International School of Béarn boasts an enriching teaching programme that follows the UK National Curriculum, from Early Years to High School, and welcomes over 40 different nationalities.
- A region rich in research and innovations: university research laboratories encompassing 24 units, in synergy with the C.N.R.S, INRA and INRIA;
- Competitiveness clusters: Avenia (Geoscience), Aerospace Valley, PPS, Cluster So Horse Alliances, Béarn Tourism Cluster, Chemparc, IFB 64, (Wood Forestry), Agri Sud-Ouest, Lacq Plus
- Business incubators: the Helioparc Technopole includes several business incubators, Lanneretonne (Oloron-Sainte-Marie), Espelida (Thèze-Miossens business park), Artix, Biron-Orthez, Arthez-de-Béarn, Monein, La Station, economic coordination centre in Sauveterre-de-Béarn. In these incubators, companies are given their chance to prepare together to become the successes of the future.
- Areas of activity: The 8 local authorities of Béarn offer a varied range of business parks with vacant property being accessible online at La Centrale du Foncier, which helps find land or public property throughout Béarn.
- High-quality facilities and infrastructure: including an international airport offering 9 flights to Paris daily, motorways such as the A64, VINCI Autoroutes, the A65, A'LIÉNOR Autoroute de Gascogne, the Port of Bayonne, the Somport Tunnel, the Zénith concert hall, the Hippodrome, the Exhibition Park, the Espace Jéliote in Oloron-Sainte-Marie, the congress centres of the Palais Beaumont in Pau and the Pavillon Saleys in Salies-de-Béarn, the Whitewater Stadium...
- Healthcare: Pau Hospital is accessible from the city centre and major transport routes and has 794 beds and places, there is also Oloron-Sainte-Marie Hospital, Orthez Hospital and in the private healthcare sector there are clinics in Navarre and Marzet.
- 5 International Sporting Events: Automobile Grand Prix, Tour de France, 4-Star International Eventing, Winter Horse Racing Meeting, International Canoe-Kayak Competition.
Invest In Pau Pyrenees
An initiative to promote the region on an international level, assist with projects and welcome investors.
An HR platform that aims to connect spouses of employees being transferred to the region with local employers. (Béarn, Bigorre, Basque Country).
Bourse de l'Immobilier
A network of estate agencies for vacant property in business and industrial parks, such as offices, warehouses and plots of land.
Centrale du Foncier
In partnership with the municipalities of Béarn, Centrale du Foncier offers direct and free access to property offers, listed by property type, transaction type, size and location.
& studies on your economic environment and its potential, studies of economic feasibility, (advice and recommendations on the setting up of your establishment)
From microcredit to the regional “factory of the future” action plan, complete project support is available, helping to set up and anchor companies into the local economy.